Here are eight of the most important mining events in Canada. Consider attending them as an exhibitor, but more importantly, consider offering a paper in the technical session, that’s where the buyer is prowling, looking for the next good idea.
A remarkable year for the world’s Top 40 miners
- Market cap $926 billion up 30%
- Revenue $600 billion up 23%
- Gearing 31% down from 41%
- Net debt to EBITDA improved by 38%
Source: PwC analysis
For the world’s Top 40 miners, 2017 was a remarkable year. Thanks in large measure to the continuing recovery in commodity prices, fueled by general economic growth, revenues rose dramatically by 23 per cent. At the same time, the cost saving strategies of the past few years delivered, with margins and cash generating ability improved as well, leading to a sharp increase in profits.
Capital expenditures remained flat. With liquidity concerns that were still lingering in 2016 mostly resolved and balance sheets strengthened, companies have the flexibility to act. Across the board, a heightened focus on safety in operations, reducing leverage, and avoiding aggressive investments in new capacity indicates that management is proceeding in a measured and deliberate way.
Download the Full Report:
The global Top 40 mining companies by market cap.
|1||BHP Billiton Limited||Australia/UK||Diversified|
|2||Rio Tinto Limited||Australia/UK||Diversified|
|4||China Shenhua Energy Company Limited||China/Hong Kong||Coal|
|6||MMC Norilsk Nickel||Russia||Nickel|
|7||Anglo American plc||UK/South Africa||Diversified|
|8||Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc.||United States||Copper|
|9||Grupo México S.A.B. de C.V.||Mexico||Diversified|
|10||Coal India Limited||India||Coal|
|11||China Molybdenum Co. Limited||China/Hong Kong||Diversified|
|12||Newmont Mining Corporation||United States||Gold|
|13||Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan||Canada||Potash|
|14||Barrick Gold Corporation||Canada||Gold|
|15||Saudi Arabian Mining Company (Ma’aden)||Saudi Arabia||Diversified|
|16||Teck Resources Limited||Canada||Diversified|
|17||Zijin Mining Group Co. Ltd||China/Hong Kong||Diversified|
|20||Newcrest Mining Limited||Australia||Gold|
|22||Sumitomo Metal Mining Company||Japan||Diversified|
|23||Shaanxi Coal Industry||China/Hong Kong||Coal|
|24||Fortescue Metals Group Limited||Australia||Iron Ore|
|26||Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd||Canada||Gold|
|27||Polyus Gold International Limited||UK||Gold|
|28||The Mosaic Company||United States||Potash|
|29||China Coal Energy Company Limited||China/Hong Kong||Coal|
|30||First Quantum Minerals Limited||Canada||Copper|
|32||Randgold Resources Limited||Channel Islands||Gold|
|33||Tianqi Lithium Industries, Inc.||China||Lithium|
|34||Shandong Gold Mining Company Limited||China/Hong Kong||Gold|
|35||Yanzhou Coal Mining Company Limited||China/Hong Kong||Coal|
|36||Jiangxi Copper Company Limited||China/Hong Kong||Copper|
|37||China Northern Rare Earth (Group) High-Tech Co. Limited||China||Rare Earth|
|38||NMDC Limited||India||Iron Ore|
|39||KGHM Polska Miedz SpÃ³lka Akcyjna||Poland||Copper|
|40||KAZ Minerals plc||UK||Copper|
Review the noticeable swing to new themes focused on digitization, sustainability and social responsibility. We have a series of global financial/technology events put on by Spire-Events including:
- Toronto’s Mining Investment in North America (June 14/15), where mining company senior executives, the supply industry and governments will meet and discuss the rapidly changing disruptive edge of the industry.
- In Vancouver also in June, the inaugural Resources for Future Generations kicks off with 1,400 papers submitted for inclusion offering 3,000 expected participants a full program on better integrating mining with society and the planet.
- We are also in the final stages of formalizing a major mission in October called Cleantech Mining Asia 2018 that will offer participating companies major access to showcase emerging solutions to an eager industry looking for real change.
The industry is experiencing a noticeable shift in themes with both Canada and Australia leading novel topics and changing venue formats from traditional trade show venues.
Did you know that 85% of businesses that fail were not members of their industry’s trade association? Membership is very cost effective and full of expanding value.
We are pleased to announce the appointment of Brian Wawn as Director Asia Pacific. His responsibilities include the support and development of Canadian Mining Suppliers in its plans to expand into the Australia and Asia region.
Brian also continues to operate Resources Monitor assisting companies servicing the mining, and oil & gas industries in the Australia and Asia region. Brian is a former Australian diplomat, having served extensively on Australian international missions. He has also served as a director of several companies in the construction industry in Australia and Southeast Asia. Brian is the author of the book, The Economies of the ASEAN Countries (published by Macmillan, London).
Canadian Mining Suppliers is pleased to have Brian as part of their expansion plans to further assist Canadian companies to grow their international strategies and plans.
Prior to submitting a proposal you should register as a supplier in the following link:
- 80 per cent of Oyu Tolgoi’s value lies beneath the surface
- Mining method: Block caving
- Operations: The mine will work 365 days a year with two 12-hour shifts.
- At the peak of construction, the underground workforce is expected to be over 3,000 – and majority Mongolian.
- The total conveyor length (10 km) is as long as the distance from the Chinggis Square to Tolgoit station.
- The deepest shaft is the equivalent of 12 Blue Sky Towers in depth.
- Total length of tunnels over the life of Hugo North Lift 1 – 200 km (mostly with a height of 5.5m and a width of 5m)
- See a visual cross section of the underground mine (pdf)
Western Australia’s lithium deposits are making a significant impact on the growth of the Australian mining industry.
Since last year, production has commenced at three further mines in Western Australia: Mount Cattlin (Galaxy Resources), Mount Marion (Mineral Resources) and Wodgina (also Mineral Resources).
Canadian Mining Suppliers™ brought nine companies on a 2-week mining mission to visit Colombia, Chile, Peru, and Mexico to meet business partners and mining buyers.
Most base-metal prices have improved over the past year including zinc (35%), lead (20%) and copper (10%), driving global interest in new projects including many in Australia. Although Coal is the single-most important mineral in New South Wales the metal mining industry is still significant with many new projects. NSW has a long history of metal mining, mainly in the central and western part of the state. Gold was first produced in the state in the early 1850s. For several decades from the 1880s, Broken Hill – which produced silver, lead and zinc – dominated mining in Australia and was a globally important supplier of these three metals.
New developments include: